Blog Archive

Sunday, August 22, 2010

ONCE-IN-AWHILE ART, TRAVEL & BOOKS

There’s a chance my raison d’etre doesn’t need me anymore. We’ll see. He has his driver’s license, his own car (albeit a stick shift and hand-me-down from his Dad and then it carried his older brother through college graduation) and school starts Monday. His older brother assures me he can really drive himself. I taught my own sons thirty-five years ago that you can’t really drive unless you can drive a stick shift. Anything else is merely steering. Seems my son listened to that one relatively unimportant fact that I told him and passed it on to his. I volunteered to ride with grandson to the mall but his older brother, again, said he doubted there were enough valiums currently on the market to do that.
So am considering a Magellan fete but in an unMagellan manner. Ideally would fly from Atlanta to South America (Brazil or Argentina), Cairo, Rome, London and St Petersburg. Then take the apparently once-in-awhile train from there to Beijing and back to the USA on a 14-day freighter. Only trouble with that plan is I am a non-flyer. We’ll see. I haven’t seen the Dakotas and Wyoming yet.
Lots of rain has brought a flurry of indoorness. Took down the 40+ year old portrait of my sons and did a refinish. Retouched and reframed my grand dog’s picture. Had to control myself to stick with it until finished on the reframing. In my spare time am researching Jimmy II, the Jesuit’s and some bimbo called Clarendon’ s slanderous assault on Lucy, which brings us to books.
Sales sinking but had an ego-boosting note from an old Savannah friend. He’s coming to Atlanta and he and his sister invited me to lunch at the Crowne Plaza. Nice. The ego boost came from his kind words about Savannah Spell to Yorktown in which I learned a new word, denouement.
Have a new TV favorite, Doc Martin. He's a male version of me, only nicer, on Public Broadcasting.